Sunday, February 7, 2010

Mama Kane's Restaurant & My Father

After demolishing our ancestral house in 1942, my father joined Mama Kane's restaurant at Dadar. Late Shri Shankarrao alias Tatyasaheb Kane was looking after Mama Kane's restaurant at that time. Shri. Kane after knowing that my father belongs to GSB community and hails from Ratnagiri district gave him job in his restaurant as a waiter. My father was hardworking and soon was in good book of Shri. Tatyasaheb Kane. He used to work for 12 hours at that time. There had a friend named Shri. Vinayak Godbole from Kokanastha Brahmin Community. he was very fair, fat and healthy, and a soft spoken too. we used to call him Vinoo Kaka. Tatyasaheb was hardworking and used to take care of all workers. Vinoo Kaka and my father were his favorite servants. Vinoo Kaka used to carry 100kg Sugar bag on his back to first floor go-down of that restaurant. Vinoo kaka was born in Pune. his weight at the time of birth was 14 pound & his mother was rewarded for it by the then British Government.

During second world War time, Kane restaurant was very popular (still it is very popular). Mama Kane, the founder was alive that time. My father used to say Shri Mama Kane & his widow sister had put alot of efforts to establish the hotel in 1910. Shri. Mama Kane expired during World War II period. My father used to say that they had to wait at Shivaji Park crematorium till Sunrise as burning of dead bodies were not allowed at night time because of Black Out.

As i have mentioned my father's elder brother, also joined Shri. Mama Kane's restaurant and was also in good books of Tatyasaheb Kane. My grandfather had expired in 1936 and had a huge loan of Rs.500 at that time. the loan was given to him by his cousins. they filed a suit in Rajapur court for auction of Agricultural Land and claimed Rs. 640 on the loan of Rs. 500
(including interest)

My father was really helpless at that time and requested Shri. Tatyasaheb Kane to give an advance of Rs. 200 saying he and his elder brother are working in his restaurant and would repay that amount partly every month through their salary. Shri Tatyasaheb asked why they wanted such a big amount (Rice plate was sold at 2 annas). When my father told him about the court proceeding of auction of property Shri. Kane asked him how much was to be paid to their cousins. When my father told him it was Rs. 640, then Tatyasaheb asked him who was my father's lawyer. My father replied one Shri. Kinare(GSB). Tatyasaheb sent money order of Rs.640 to Shri Kinare Vakil and asked him to prevent the auction of our ancestral land at our native place. my father was overwhelmed by the gesture of Shri. Tatyasaheb Kane and always used to say our Next 50 Generation should be grateful to Shri Tatyasaheb Kane & his family.

Of-course my father was guided by Shri. Tatyasaheb Kane after he left the job at Mama Kane's restaurant and started a canteen at Bombay Film Laboratory. when ever my father had any problem, he used to consult Shri. Kane. one Mr. Karandikar who used to write books of accounts for Shri. Kane was deputed by him to write the accounts of Dattatray Hotel as well. Shri. Karandikar used to write accounts till 1976, when i started writing books of accounts for Dattatray Hotel.

After i passed my SSC examination with distinction, my father took me to Shri. Tatyasaheb Kane to get his blessings. He was very pleased. He told me that, " Tu Khup Shik, Pun Hotelcha Vyavasay Sodu Nakos, Hotel Madhe Fadka Marnyachi Laz Vatata Kaama Naye" I still remember those Golden words and have brought them in practice. He also told me that time that i should never look or peep in the restaurants of competitors in the area. I strictly followed his advice so far. Once Shri. Sarjoshi (Senior) of Aswad Hotel, that he was calling him from Aswad Hotel, when i was walking on the footpath, but I was in Trandri, i apologized to him and told him this "KISSA" of Shri. Tatyasaheb Kane and i said "I dont look at any hotel in the vicinity"

Regarding his first commandment, i got myself educated to Post Graduation in Engineering and cleaning of tables in Dattatray Hotel, serving Water, serving order, other job of waiters, when any worker was absent from his duty. I never felt that this type of work is below my dignity. Sometimes my college students also used to come in the restaurant, but i never felt awkward for doing such a job.

Now Mama Kane's restaurant is completing 100 years in Feb' 2010. I am very happy and glad about the achievement. If my father would have been alive at this time, he would have definitely gone to Mama Kane's restaurant on the Centenary and saluted Shri. Shankarrao (Tatyasaheb) Kane.

Grandson of Shri. Tatyasaheb Kane, Chi. Shridhar Kamlakar Kane, son of Shri. Bapusaheb Kane, stood fifth in HSC examination (incidentally my daughter also stood fifth in 12th Standard) and was a student of VJTI. i was Assistant Professor at VJTI and used to teach Thermodynamics and Heat Power Engineering to SE Electrical Students. When i told my father, that Shri. Bapusaheb Kane's son is my student in the college, he was overwhelmed.

I never used to go to Shri. Kane's restaurant and always had high regards to this restaurant and Shri. Shankarrao alias Tatyasaheb Kane, because of whom our property at native place still stands in our name and because of that only i can proudly say that i have planted more than 2500 Alphonso Mangoes in my native place.

No comments:

Post a Comment